Monday, February 1, 2016

Periscope, Check your work strategies and Talent show act???

Hey friends!

So yeah, I have a love/hate relationship with Periscope. Don't get me wrong, I mostly LOVE it. In a few short months of dabbling with it, it has extensively changed my life. Maybe that sounds a bit dramatic, but I really do feel that way. It seems like in the blink of an eye, I've become friends with people from across the continent, which is something I honestly never thought I would do. I feel like these people have become a daily part of my life. Most of them, which may include you if you've come here from my periscope, I watch on Periscope. Mostly teachers - who have created a social media sensation. We share such a powerful bond. I mostly learn things from them (you), but I've also laughed, cried, danced, sang, and celebrated with them. Like I said, some of them may be you, who are reading this. And if you are, thank you. I appreciate your friendship. I value it.

For those reasons, I love Persicope, undoubtedly. However, I am starting to realize that it is a mega battery drainer! I can't fully enjoy every Periscope I'd like to watch because my phone will inevitably die!!! Is anyone else experiencing this? How have you managed to fix this issue? Please share. I am trying to attach my charger to my hip... but that's just a loss waiting to happen. I know it's going to end up getting lost somewhere, because I know myself well enough yall. #clumsy

Also, if you checked out my Periscope, I talked about "Check your work" strategies. PLEASE share below, because I am VERY curious about this. I would greatly appreciate it.
I really would like to know what kind of strategies you teach your students to check their math work after they have finished. If you make a lesson out of it? Or HOW you go about teaching them to really go over each problem.

And lastly... If you have any suggestions for a talent show act that you've seen or had success with, please share! I'm in search for something FUN and FUNNY :) :) :)

Thanks everyone! Have a great rest of your week!

Jose

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jose! Great to see you on Periscope today. Just wanted to follow up on my comment in the Scope in case it seemed contrarian. I wasn't trying to be. I just wanted to ask if you had a clear idea of why they weren't doing the check that you wanted them to do.

    Is it because the material is so easy or so hard that they feel the check is a waste of time -- it will only reveal what they already know about their learning: that they totally get it or that they totally don't? Is it that they just can't be bothered -- that they're not doing the work necessarily to learn, but rather to fulfill an effort obligation that has been imposed on them? Is it that they don't care whether they're right or wrong? Is it that checking is an onerous process and doesn't offer sufficient return on time/effort investment?

    Before understanding how to address the problem, I think it's important to understand why it exists in the first place. Each reason comes with its own set of solutions for bringing about the behavior you want to see. If there are a combination of reasons, then there are a combination of solutions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jason! Thanks for your input. I always enjoy watching your scopes and reading your feedback. You're witty, insightful and comical. :) Glad to be a #THMmen with you. haha

    I think you have extremely valid points here that have really made me begin to question a lot. Thank you for that. I do need to figure out why it exists in the first place before I can address the issue. Often times, we get so frustrated with what happens around us; we tend to immediately try to fix everything without knowing why... and thank goodness we have people around us who remind us that - there is more to everything.

    I will be doing a follow up blog post with what I have come to find!

    BTW, your last sentence deserves to be shared with the world. I love it.

    ReplyDelete